Tuesday, May 6, 2014

TPT Teacher Appreciation Sale and Pool Noodle Regrouping!

First, I hope you are all enjoying your Teacher Appreciation Week! 
Our PTA is FABULOUS and is spoiling us rotten (and fattening us up) this week! :) 

OK, better late than never, right?! By now I'm sure you know about the big TPT sale and probably already have your cart loaded up! I wanted to stop in and let you know that my little store is 20% off, and you can get an additional 10% off using the code TPTXO until tomorrow night! Click on the picture below to go directly to my TPT store.


I also wanted to tell you about the product I just posted! 

If you remember back to the posts from the Spring Teacher Blogger Meet Up, you probably remember seeing all kinds of posts about using pool noodles for teaching place value. 
I even posted this pic on my Instagram:


I cut those babies up into tens and ones and then decided to take place value a step further and use them for teaching addition and subtraction with regrouping since that is such a difficult concept for first graders to wrap their brains around. 

I modeled using the pool noodles to regroup with the whole class several times and then let them work in groups to solve their own regrouping problems. 
*Note*: I realized a few minutes in that I needed to back up and remind them that pool noodles were not swords, but they quickly got back on track! :)




We did this for addition one week and subtraction the next, and it really helped to make this difficult concept a little more concrete for some of my STARS. 

And that is how this product was born (click the pic to check it out on TPT):



Pool noodles are so versatile that you can also use them for literacy skills, so I have included activities for the four types of sentences in this product as well. 


And the best part is you can get it ON SALE until tomorrow night! 

Happy Shopping! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment